Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Weekend at Spring Training

Well, I'm off to AZ to catch some Cactus League action this weekend, so it's unlikely I'll update this blog. I was just wondering, would most autistic people be able to handle that? I mean, sitting in the hot sun for hours watching baseball, driving several hours to Phoenix and back, driving another couple hours to Tucson, and staying in an unfamiliar setting? I don't think so. Respond to me with your opinion on that matter. Although I am better off than most autistic people, I still have a far way to go. I have not had sex, among other things, and that really pains me. Anyway, I was in Wilmington visiting Aspie Al last night. We went to the dog park in San Pedro (just outside of Wilmington) and then returned home. I bussed it all the way to Wilmington from LA and it took two hours. I think that might be a little better for autistic people, because normal people drive and Aspie Al went to a non-public school, but somebody lower functioning may not even be able to do that. Anyway, thank you all and good luck with your lives.

3 comments:

jonathan said...

not having had sex at 17 is no great tragedy. If you are 23 and still celibate then write about it. At that point it might be something to worry about.

jonathan said...

Well, not really, people had sex as adolescents in my day also(you know i was not one of them)and it was my parents generation (they are now in their 80s) that you are thinking of. But there are others who have had to wait until 18 when they went away to college and privacy was easier. At 17 you are still a kid living with parents and privacy is harder to acquire. Though some people have sex for the first time when younger than you are it is still not that uncommon but when you are in your early 20s that is more getting up there and that is a concern. Though you have a disability that may make it more difficult, it is still premature to think you might not have sex soon. You just have to hope the right girl comes along and maybe you can do it in spite of your autism. You have to go out and try to meet people and maybe you will find someone before not too long in spite of your disability.

I won't give the pat and simplistic solution of finding an autistic girl with the 10:1 ratio of high to low functioning of course, but I don't think it is impossible for you to find someoneand you might not end up celibate when you are an old man like me.

jonathan said...

also 13 is young to have sex. I suspect Aspie Al is just pulling your leg if he told you he was at a doobie brothers concert and they were singing born to be wild that can't be correct since it is Steppenwolf that did born to be wild and not the doobie brothers.

I don't know how old aspie al is, but I suspect he is too young to remember when Easy Rider came out and that was the song in the movie and he might not have heard of Steppenwolf since it was before his time.