Monday, March 22, 2010

Hangin' Out With Aspie Al

This was to be my original post today before Phil went bezerk last night. I may or may not do a post on that subject later on. Prior to Phil going crazy last night, I was going to let him and Andrew comment on this article but Phil dug his own grave last night by saying that autism was a civil rights issue. So neither he nor Andrew can comment. As you all know, I went over to Aspie Al's place last Wednesday night, and it was an eye-opening experience, as it made me realize that neurodiversity is more widespread than I once thought. My first inkling was when I texted Aspie Al to tell him I had an autistic blog. He told me I was a dumbfuck loser. I asked him to elaborate further but he didn't until he saw me in person. I then pressed the issue further, and he told me that I wasn't autistic and that I just say stupid things sometimes. When I asked him about a cure for autism, he said that one did not exist. When I pressed on the issue of chelation, he rejected it. When I asked him why I hadn't had sex yet, he said I was just lazy and that I needed to take matters into my own hands. Now I'm not gonna end a years-long friendship with Aspie Al over the concept of neurodiversity, but it made me realize that way more people believe in it than I thought and we must do something about that. Phil is a dumbfuck idiot who is acting like God. I offered him a good deal last night to end all of our fighting and respect our difference of opinion but apparently I must bow down to him and accept his opinion as fact, which I will not do as I will not sacrifice my freedom. God Bless You All .

4 comments:

Scratcher said...

You're sacrificing your freedom right now because you're about to lose a good friend! Get with the flaming program, Ollie! Phil's right and BEASTY BOY is wrong! On a lot of things.

If you remove this we'll know that you're a human rights abuser. If you let it through you might be reachable yet!

Matt Hogan said...

Oliver, you do not have the right to deny people services that they require. By calling Aspergers Syndrome a "disease" that's what you're doing. By saying everything that you have said about Aspergers and the rest of Autism, you are blocking services. You are one less person demanding it, which could be the difference between a support structure staying open and that structure closing and depriving those who need it support.

That's how I read Phil's statement to which you are scoffing.

And Scratcher is right and you aren't seeing it. You are about to lose a friend. Not because you are ending the friendship, but because he will. Until you shape up that is and accept neurodiversity as a brain difference and not some neo-political movement.

Matt Hogan said...

But by showing support for JB, you ARE doing that. The "cure" you speak of is impossible and a waste of time. You'll find that is the reason why those you don't like oppose it. Concentrate on treatments that have a good track record. Chelation has a bad one for real improvement. It is right to block bad services that harm people. I know I read something about chelation and the kidneys but I don't remember enough to quote it verbatim.

Unknown said...

Matt Hogan,

How is Oliver denying anyone services?

I, Katie, an adult with autism, do not have the right to tell Matt Hogan what to think.

What right does Matt Hogan have to tell Oliver, an adult with autism, what to think? What qualifications does Matt Hogan have in autism treatments and cures?

Regards,

Katie K.