Thursday, April 7, 2011

EKG School

As some of you may already know, I have been taking an EKG class at Cal State LA since late February. Today, I finally gave somebody an EKG, which is another step towards me passing the class. In May, I must take the state licensing exam and receive at least 82% to be officially certified as an EKG doctor. I am the only autistic person in the class (as well as the youngest), and nobody else knows that I am autistic.

While taking this EKG class is certainly a step in the right direction, I still have a long way to go. I still have yet to drive a car, go to college, or get laid, and I will be 19 on Sunday. My autism has held me back in life, and if I do succeed it will be despite my autism, not because of it. I realize that some other autistic people may have succeeded better than me (as some may have succeeded worse) as no two autistic people are alike, but those who have succeeded better than me should feel blessed, not take personal offense and accuse me of "misrepresenting" autism. I speak from on honest perspective, and I speak for no one but myself. I certainly do not mean any offense, and thus none should be taken.

2 comments:

Clay said...

That should be a picture of yourself under the "about me" thing, not of your mother!

Comedian Andrew Ackner said...

Oliver, while everybody else seems to still be holding onto their grudges they have with you, I'm trying to show respect for you in light of your post before this, the fact that you wisely chose not to fight back on blogs meant to get a negative reaction from you, and also the fact that you are doing something like EKG school. You still have not earned my full respect and still have a long ways to go until then.

I'm just noticing progress and maturity in you and I have felt as I've been doing that it's only fair to recognize it even though you have much further to go.

I would just like you to consider that your success in EKG school is indeed because and not despite Autism. EKG is a passion of yours, that as you said is from your Autism, which follows that if it wasn't for your Autism man you wouldn't be there or have the passion and interest in knowing all there is to know about EKGs. Without the passion and special interest caused by your interest, it must be noted that you wouldn't be there succeeding.

It's the same case as with my stand-up. It's hard for anybody to get up there and perform his material, and it's slightly harder for me because I have Aspergers, but only slightly. If I didn't have Aspergers I wouldn't be as passionate, driven and gungho about comedy, and I would've given up at it, just like most of the "normal" people whose interest in comedy is not as strong as an Aspie's interest in comedy. But my love for the art of stand-up, like many Aspergian interests, including yours, borders along the line of obsession (but in a positive way if handled properly like how we both presently are doing) So the thing is even though Aspergers creates minor barriers for me, I'm doing well in comedy because of Aspergers not in spite of it.

The same can be said of you, I'm not denying that Aspergers causes you challenges in the field of EKG, I guarantee it does, but Aspergers also gives you several edges that help you far more than its challenges hold you back, as is evidenced by the fact that you are doing well with it.

The overcoming of those barriers created by Aspergers is being done by your own strength and will, and your own strength and will is also your Aspergers, after all you are an Aspie, man.

Just think about it dude, you don't have to accept it, though I wish you would, but just thinking about it will help you so much, the consideration of a new perspective even if it doesn't replace the old.